Right Column

Initial Automotive Repair Dealer (ARD) Registration Application

  • Steps
  • Graphic of a circle labeled number 1.
  • Graphic of a circle labeled number 2.
  • Graphic of a circle labeled number 3.
  • Graphic of a circle labeled number 4.
  • Graphic of a circle labeled number 5.

Step 1: Do I need to register my shop with BAR?


You must Register with BAR as an ARD if you will be compensated for performing tests, diagnoses, maintenance or repairs to any of these types of automotive or motorcycle components:

  • Air Conditioning System
  • Transmission
  • Body and Frame
  • Steering Gear
  • Brakes
  • Emission Control System
  • Clutch
  • Fuel System
  • Drive Train Assembly
  • Heater System
  • Electrical System
  • Glass Components
  • Engine
  • Suspension
  • Other Automotive or Motorcycle Components (Not specifically excluded)

    I need to register with BAR


You do not need to register as an ARD if you are:

  • A business that services ONLY vehicles other than passenger vehicles; OR
  • A Fleet owner repairing ONLY Fleet vehicles; OR
  • A business that performs ONLY minor maintenance services to motor vehicles; OR
  • A Machine shop that meets ALL of the following criteria:

    1. Your primary business is the wholesale supply of new or rebuilt automotive parts; AND
    2. You engage solely in the remachining of individual automotive parts without
      compensation for warranty adjustments; AND
    3. You do not engage in repairing or diagnosing malfunctions of motor vehicles or motorcycles.

Still not certain whether or not you are required to register?

Contact the BAR Licensing Unit at (855) 735-0462 or by mail at 10949 North Mather Boulevard, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670. Explain your situation and provide your business phone and address so BAR can contact you to answer your questions.